To comply with Building Regulations, there are strict rules about when safety glass needs to be fitted in doors,
windows & other glazing locations.
To get advice on safety glass, or to get a quote, give us a bell on 0141 959 1414.
what is safety glass?
- There are two types of safety glass: toughened glass & laminated glass (we supply & fit both).
- Toughened glass, also known as tempered glass, is up to 5 times stronger than regular glass. It is specially treated, so that it will break into small, blunt pieces if it shatters.
- Laminated glass has a plastic layer in between two layers of glass.The pvb plastic layer is a tough resin, and holds the shards in place if the glass should break. This means it’s great where any level of security is required as, even if the glass breaks, it is still very difficult to gain entry.
- Read on to see where safety glass needs to be used & some common applications.
HOW TO CHECK SAFETY GLASS TYPE?
- To check whether you have laminated or toughened glass, look for a printed kitemark in the corner of the glass.
- BS EN 14449: laminated glass
- BS EN 1250: toughend glass
- Opaque wired glass is NOT safety glass
TOUGHENED GLASS SOLUTIONS
- Worktops & table tops
- Shower Screens
- Any window or door where security is important.
- Splashbacks (behind kitchen hobs)
- Internal partition walls
- Glass Floors
To protect people from injury, and to comply with the Building Regulations glazing requirements, there must be safety glass or safety guards in place to protect people from injury. These are also referred to as “Critical Locations.”
The most likely locations for accidents caused by glass breakage, which could result in injuries to a person are in low windos, doors, door side panels, low and low level glass in walls and glass partitions.
Safety glass should be fitted in all doors and other windows or glazed areas that are lower than 800mm from the floor level.
Glass panels less than 250mm wide can be fitted with 6mm glass or laminated glass instead of toughened glass.
advice on safety glass
We're now closed for the Glasgow Fair holiday, and return to work on Mon 2nd August. Please continue to use the contact form below, and you'll be at the top of our list for a call when we are back in the office.
Request A Quote
(It's not essential, but if you could provide the dimensions & type of glass you need,
we'll be a lot quicker in providing a quotation).
Mon - Thurs
9am - 4.30pm
9am - 3.30pm
Sat - Sun
Anniesland Business Park,
242 Netherton Road,